Thread: Sonos 1 speaker
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2020, 2:12 pm   #9
Gabe001
Octode

Default Re: Sonos 1 speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimshaw1989 View Post
Hey! Completely new to this but I’ve got an old Roberts R707 that’s in pretty good condition but doesn’t work (just picks up white noise). I don’t really listen to much radio but love the look and feel of the unit. Originally I thought of trying to convert it to a Bluetooth speaker, which I’ll still look to do if needed.

However I got a bit of a brainwave and thought about going a step further and breaking up an old Sonos 1 speaker and possibly turning it into a WiFi speaker?
I’m a complete novice so don’t know if it’s even possible but more than willing to give it a bash and try.
I've done a few experiments with a raspberry pi 3a (£20, has WiFi) and Volumio (open source Sonos equivalent) with a mono amp.
It worked but I got a lot of noise on the speaker, from both the switch mode power supplies and the pi itself. The power requirement of the pi is not insignificant (0.5-2A), so it will need a mains connection. Its also recommended that the amp is powered seperately, unless you use the Roberts as an amp in which you're still stuck with the problem of how to power the pi with a module that can handle up to 2A and is not noisy.

You will get the same functionality as the sonos , and probably more, by installing Kodi on your phone and a Bluetooth module in the roberts, and simply pair the two.

Hope this helps
Gabriel