View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2020, 1:12 pm   #7
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: Duxford Radio Society.

Reading the DRS post more carefully I suspect the heart of the problem is captured in the paragraph starting:

"The most difficult aspect of the IWM contract requirements was for DRT to provide £10M public and £10M product liability insurance protection to IWM. "

and then the following paragraph starting:

"However, on 13 July 2020, the trustees were advised that despite finally obtaining the IWM required insurance cover, it was too late, there was no place for DRT at IWM Duxford and no agreement would be made for DRT to remain there. "

From long experience of being a trustee and committee member of a variety of bodies, I would say that some trustees are terminally allergic to taking any risk whatsoever, however tiny and however carefully it can be managed. They just say "NO".

I suspect cross words have occurred here, and the people with the power, the IWM Trustees, have just said "**** it, lets just be rid of them (the DRS)".

And behind that, is an attitude which I pick up from the IWM that electronics/radio etc is of no importance to their statutory duty to collect, display and educate the public about the military, wars, etc. My understanding of WWII is that electronics was absolutely key to winning it - but this is a point that apparently escapes the powers-that-be at the IWM.

Richard

Last edited by AC/HL; 24th Oct 2020 at 5:42 pm. Reason: Forum covid rules