View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2007, 8:03 pm   #14
Ray Cooper
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: EHT problem

TNC:
Quote:
...if I can ask what UR43 is?
I presume it's a "standard" - so can you tell me where it might be available?
It's a standard RF cable (made by UniRadio, amongst others, I think, hence the type number) which is broadly equivalent to RG58.

Both types, if I remember correctly, designed to fit into type TNC connectors

But don't feel constrained to use that type: almost any decent (non-subminiature) RF cable would do, so long as its got solid polyethylene-type dielectric of a reasonable diameter around its inner conductor. You might even be able to use TV co-ax downlead - but make sure that it's not the foam-dielectric type since this might absorb water and go leaky on you. Also, most TV downleads have solid inner conductors, which make them rather less flexible and any jointing at the ends more likely to fracture with movement and time.

I mentioned UR43 since I happened to have previously used it successfully at EHT. It has a stranded inner conductor. The equivalent RG58 is obtainable at Maplins - code XS51F - cost £0.89 per metre. Comes covered in a PVC sheath, so if you were lucky you might be able to pull the inner+dielectric out from the outer+sheath, tease out the braided sheath and replace the PVC outer as a covering.