View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2022, 1:02 pm   #111
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Scott Mills to replace Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The BBC seem to have decided that once you get beyond 60 your entire radio entertainment will be classical music, cricket and current affairs and are moving as fast as they can to that position.

They do allow modern classical music on R3, and nothing seems too avant-garde sometimes. If I performed the whole of the Ring Cycle in Morse code, I think they'd play it.

But whole decades of adventurous rock have vanished.

David
Agree totally David. There must be room (meaningful listeners figures) for a BBC radio programme that plays, I dunno, 'evergreen' stuff from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s? And maybe even a touch of 90s thrown in for good measure. But modern pop a la X Factor 'here today gone tomorrow' 'pop stars' singing monotone, over-produced pap to make it into something listenable is just not on the radar of most people above say the age of 50. There could be a vast range of programmes, covering eg the aforementioned chart hits, plus special shows for soul (Northern Soul is very popular), rock, folk/rock, jazz-rock, American rock, plus interviews, quizzes etc etc.

Truth be told, I am slowly but surely being turned off listening to the radio - is that what the BBC secretly want?!

I simply never listen to R1, R3 is not really for me, but I agree with it, R4 I do listen to but it's very biassed towards women's issues I find, R5Live I do sometimes listen when it's a sport that I'm interested and occasionally other stuff too, leaving R2 that each day is moving further and further away from what I want to hear. I'm not so concerned as others about who does the presenting, although I do like SW, I want to hear music that my I enjoy listening to, and I know there's a big, broad, elderly age group who feel the same way.