View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2022, 10:21 am   #109
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: Scott Mills to replace Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2.

Steve Wright and Ken Bruce are knocking on a bit for the current Radio 2 target audience and especially for the new intake leaving Radio One. Many listening to Steve Wright in his pomp on Radio One will be heading towards 60 and a good number beyond it.

There was a plan to replace Ken Bruce with Simon Mayo around fifteen years ago. Around that time the Andrew Sachs incident occurred and the plan came to nought when the Radio 2 management changed. There is an interesting interview David Lloyd (now of Boom Radio) conducted with Simon Mayo which covers it on the 'net somewhere.

Ken Bruce has only ever been a Radio 2 presenter and has always been popular with the older listener. Whilst this may be something of a problem for Radio 2, the other 'problem' for the BBC is that his is the most listened to show, which says much for his ability and professionalism, especially when the playlist has gone 'younger'.

Comment was made upthread about young people not listening to radio. The last quarter RAJAR figures showed that Radio One had around 7.5m listeners and Radio 2 14.5m listeners. It is true that many youngsters listen to alternatives. There is little new in this. When I was at school much of my listening and that of my friends was to LPs for the reason that the music we liked (of quite diverse strands) got little airing on the radio of the time. Given the cost, borrowing from each other was frequent. I can remember rainy days in the summer holidays when my record player was on most of the day. However, there were many others I knew whose interest in popular music was scant, had no interest in buying records and were content with what was available over the air. One or two even preferred to listen to Radio 2! (And there was even an underground bunch of us that listened to Radio 4!)

Last edited by Junk Box Nick; 16th Jul 2022 at 10:29 am.