View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2022, 9:48 am   #104
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: Scott Mills to replace Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
Radio One is very much a teen and twenties station whereas when it started it had a broader age range as demonstrated by the kind of programmes that Jimmy Young presented on Radio One with a spot using recipes sent in by housewives (if I dare use such a term these days).
The Jimmy Young show was broadcast on Radio 1 and Radio 2 simultaneously if I remember right. I believe that this was done in order to reduce "needle time" which was limited to something like 84 hours per week across all BBC national radio stations. So Jimmy Young was never a purely Radio 1 presenter. I seem to remember that Tony Brandon's afternoon show and Ed Stewart's Junior Choice at the weekend were similarly broadcast on both networks too.
This rather proves the point that Radio One had a broader appeal than it does today and/or that much of the chart music of the time was acceptable to older ears. Interestingly, I remember that Jimmy Young was the most popular of the daytime shows when I was at school.

The sharing of programming across Radio One and Radio 2 continued for a long time. ISTR that David Hamilton’s show was broadcast on both networks in the late 1970s.

However, today, musical tastes are much siloed and the style of presentation with it. Whilst in the 1960s people of my age knew of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and the songs they played, and other major groups of the time, and often liked a lot of the artists who were regularly in the charts, I haven’t a clue about today’s chart acts. I know a couple of names and that’s it.

In this environment Radio 2 has probably done well to service as broad an audience as it does – even though its demographic range is narrower than it once was. Steve Wright has probably presented his show on Radio 2 longer than it existed on Radio One.