View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2021, 4:06 pm   #85
llama
Octode

Default Re: The end of physical media.

When I wrote "remakes" I wasn't talking about an artist's own (or sanctioned) remix. It's their track they can do what they want with it. My own son has done some remixes on his tunes and also handed the masters to other producers to work on - in one case a 5/4 track ended up as a beaty 4/4. I mean the remakes like when Virgin got Roy Orbison into the studio to lay down new recordings of his Greatest Hits. The spokesman claimed they were "note-perfect" (so that makes it OK?). They grate on my ears. Another is the version of Sultans of Swing as played by GHR. I have a Chubby Checker CD I've had to add a post-it note to to make sure I don't air the ones that are remakes. Seeing DDD on a CD for a '50s/'60s/'70s hit is a giveaway and I regret the absence of these markings. At least on a physical 45 you get the date on the label.

I think the online remixes issue rather makes my point neatly: when Radio Free Wiltshire invites you to Nadder Island Disks and asks "Mr Tanuki, or may I call you G6(?), what is your favourite Enya track?" they don't want "well if you go to www.enyaremixes.com/f786pakje8yfd9 and select the 4th one down, they'd much rather hear "Well I've burnt it onto this CD-R for convenience"!

Finally, for now, I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the BBC promotional feature concerning licence-fee payment by SO or DD where the chap says "I'm keeping the CDs" and she says "On your bike". Even I thought she'd more likely say "You're welcome to them, I've got them all ripped onto my cloud-based storage".
Graham