View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2019, 12:29 pm   #18
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: JVC HR-3300 video recorder

Boy, the JVC HR-3300 sure brings back some memories for me.

I was repairing VCR's in the early '80's. Back then they were not household items. Mostly Universities and Schools had them. That was when VHS started to go mainstream though. I worked for the company that had the JVC agency in NZ and I knew this model like the back of my hand.

The thing that impressed me about these machines was the sophistication of the head drum and capstan servo systems. They taught me a great deal about the difficulties of phase and speed control of servo systems.

Suddenly out of the blue, an advertisement appeared in a newspaper that said the major NZ TV service company (left unnamed here) were "experts in repairing VCR's". None of the technicians working for that company had any training with VCR's. The company management just thought it up. So I found myself running a training course on how to repair them a week later.

It would be wise if you were able to find a kit of the soft (rubber) parts to replace where possible. At this age of the machine those will require replacing, especially the loading motor belt.

If you can acquire the original JVC manual, do it, they were extremely well written in that era. You may have to fault find both the mechanism control logic, the servo system and the signal processing circuits, but it will be worth it.