View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2013, 4:36 pm   #105
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Hi DaveW. Good to hear from someone else from Suffolk that remembers the radio components shops in Ipswich. My family moved from Cross Gates (East Leeds) in 1962 to live at Sweffling, near Saxmundham. My father managed to get a job as a t.v and radio engineer at G.A Hubbard in Saxmundham (they also had a shop in Woodbridge).Hubbards did sell some audio spares, cartridges, records, but no component spares for the public as far as I know. I remember buying some records in their Market Place (Sax) shop in 1964. My uncle worked as an electrician (foreman) for Hubbards. The only section of the company left is the Refrigeration Dept at Otley (so I have been told).
Dad bought me a Regentone Handygram record player from Hubbards in 1963 (a collector's item now). Hubbard's shop in Saxmundham is now a fast food shop (surprise!). Sometimes, I like to visit the area and see it all again.
Other memories included a Dorset transistor radio (similar to Dansette radios), but he bought this kit from somewhere in Acton, London. I had the time of my life with this listening to Veronica & Big L
Cheers
Mike