View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 10:37 pm   #10
Timbucus
Octode

Default Re: MK14 computer with a OK-80a paper tape reader - what data required for the paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1960 View Post
Another possible option is remove the proms from the MK14, when the prom is enabled provide the data from the tape reader, drive the nhold low until the next byte is read. The tape is then programmed with the binary image of an unrolled program to write a program into ram and then jump to ram. It might need a few jumps added to stop the program counter reaching the end of the prom.

I have done something similar using a z80 and an ft245, initial bootstrap data writes a bootloader to ram, then executes the bootloader to download the rest of the ram.

A paper tape reader might be interesting, but I don’t think I would bother without a way to punch tapes myself. I had wondered if it might be possible to adapt one of the cheap music box mechanisms and manual punch the tapes.
That is really clever - by remove the PROMS I assume you mean some form of digital switch that takes them out of the memory map temporarily while using the reader?