View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 5:53 pm   #5
Timbucus
Octode

Default Re: MK14 computer with a OK-80a paper tape reader - what data required for the paper

I had planned to do this myself since seeing Jerrry's OP80 and having one of his MK14's, when retro budget allows the OP80 and thought that maybe replacing the SCIOS 2 tape routines with a paper tape loader would be a good idea.

My main interest though has changed to do so with the longer programs for the 1.5K memory expansion where the tape routines might still be needed and the basic loader is only short anyway using binary.

There is another HEX loader firmware available but, so much of the SCIOS is removed it is more useful for development off machine to squirt data for running over serial - another half completed YouTube video I intend to put up reviewing the MK14 scene. This proves Tony's point.

I do like Mark's idea of using the keyboard but, having a BINARY format on the tape would allow me to use it to load code into the SCRUMPI as well - I published on a thread here a minimum serial binary loader on here which should be easy to adapt to parallel. I think the loader is visible in the video and would be easy to type in anyway - I manged to get an entire game from freeze framed video once...

As regards the OP original question - the format of file to supply is a question for the person who will punch it - I expect a RAW file of bytes or a plain HEX ASCII (Not intel etc) where each byte is just a character par in HEX

C9B3001A etc