View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 3:08 pm   #123
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: Medium Wave Transmitter Closures.

I shall miss H & W on 738. It was a more reliable signal than FM at my location and I can’t get it on DAB at all.

I used to like listening to the cricket commentaries on it. One day I listened in the car all down the M5 to Weston Super Mare.

At home I had to position the radio away from sources of noise; and, of course, Mr/Ms Average isn’t going to be bothered with that but it just shows the potential relatively low powered AM stations could have had.

For all the ‘choice’ of stations these days so many are mining the same seam or a narrow selection of seams chasing the same audiences. There isn’t a lot for older listeners, especially since the BBC wants to abandon them; or for the not so old that prefer a more easy sound and mature presentation. I’d happily listen to a jazz station or Serenade Radio style station on AM; and we know on here how good AM quality can be but given the level of noise, narrow transmit bandwidth and the design of modern sets that don’t render AM particularly well, everything is against AM now and this is all might have been.

As for Ofcom, I’ve heard that they no longer issue AM licences even if you want one.
Junk Box Nick is offline   Reply With Quote