View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 12:22 pm   #1
JohnJones
Triode

Default MK14 computer with a OK-80a paper tape reader - what data required for the paper tape

Hello All

Firstly, this is my first posting to this forum, so forgive me if I've managed to post to the wrong one.

I am in the process of assembling a replica OP-80a punched paper tape reader for use with replica MK14.

Of course, to test it all out I'll need a punched paper tape.

I have identified a company that produces punched paper tapes.

My question is: What is the format of the data file that I need to supply?

I appreciate that this might seem an obvious question but for me it isn't. If I compare the situation with my experience of using a KIM-1: that computer has routines in its monitor to print to a paper tape puncher or produce a correctly formatted file for that use, but (at least I don't think so) the MK 14 has no such routine.

As an example: if I take the Moon Landing program (or any program) from out of the MK14 user guide, in what format would I need to save that to a file to get it printed as a punched paper tape?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

And, yes, I have asked the company that produce the punched paper tapes but they have - quite reasonably - said that they cannot advise on individual makes of computer.

I hope the following might be of help:

I'm trying to achieve what is shown in this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/yg2P5I3URrw

If I can provide any other information that could help, please just ask and I'll do my best.

Many thanks.

John