Old 7th May 2021, 7:41 am   #56
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Early EPROM programmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1960 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
In my opinion, the P4000 is still an interesting device, you can program it from the keypad, you can copy an EPROM to RAM, edit it, and burn the result back into another EPROM, etc. You have the SC/MP bus available on a header at the back too. But alas the EP4000 is more likely to end up raided for its 8154s.
If anyone is considering raiding a programmer for 8154s and/or 8060s let me know
At least the later EP8000 unit only appears to have one 8154 to potentially pinch from it
- With these still obtainable at not too bad prices for genuine (and ceramic package) ones, from one or two places who still have stocks.
And quite a bit less than INS8060's are, even from far-east online marketplace sellers, that fortunately have turned-out to be genuine ones.

But it could mean that you could snap one up quite cheap, if the IC's were missing and restore these for not too much extra
- Assuming someone didnt just scrap the rest of the unit.

I suppose at least these don't appear to have any ultra-desirable white-ceramic IC's in them, that the mentioned Stag one has 3off 8255's in this package (although not Gold-top) on one photo, here: http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/Stag_PP39_programmer.htm
- Although all soldered-in, so a lot of effort to remove / swap to plastic ones (sometimes done with 6502 CPU's due to desirability of white-ceramic ones)