View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2021, 6:27 pm   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: PCB design -- on a BBC Micro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothie View Post
Ah! Success. I can't get it to auto-boot, possibly this is some configuration problem with the emulator, but *EXEC !BOOT causes it to run, and entering the command D draws a picture of a board (attached).
That's good! You might want to set up your emulator as a Master 128, which will run in a better graphics mode.

The file D.RPA1C which is also on the disc is a preamplifier for connecting a Chinese "red stylus" cartridge to a record player with an EL84 + selenium rectifier amplifier. The components are dispersed about the screen, but nothing is wired yet.

For a real treat, I'm just working on a BCP version of my "Pocket Particle Accelerator" right now ..... in case you found the "B9A21" footing and wondered what it was doing!
Quote:
I don't mind testing I've got a BBC in storage waiting to be revived, so any learning I can get the better. I just wish I could get the stack of BBC manuals I have out of storage so I could understand things more! Perhaps I will need to look to see if some scoundrel has uploaded a PDF
The BBC Micro User Guide and Advanced User Guide are definitely available online.
Quote:
I do appreciate how much effort it takes to write software for the old 8-bits, there's always the 3-way stretch on functionality, speed and memory usage!
Oh, yes! And you can only fit enough source code into RAM at a time to assemble about 2KB of machine code. The main development work is now being done using the excellent BeebAsm, which I can't praise highly enough; but I also came up with a way to "keep it real" by building all the code on a real Beeb. This is orders of magnitude slower than doing it all on the host side, though .....