View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2021, 10:57 am   #77
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Four more MW radio transmitter closures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4 View Post
I do listen to the radio a lot, however severe interference during the day and into the night is making AM reception difficult. I tend to listen more on DAB these days as once the AM interference starts between 9am and 10am I have to get 5 Live on DAB. Long Wave is passable as is much of Short Wave but Medium Wave is completely jammed out.
Neil
Hi Neil

I live a few miles away in the middle of suburbia and found the the middle section of the Medium wave band was most affected by local noise making reception of even the stronger signals such as BBC R5L on 909 and Radio Wales on 882 very difficult but Long Wave and BBC R5L on 693 were ok. The 75m and 49m short wave bands were also very noisy.
Recently over the last year the noise levels in general have dropped to more acceptable levels. I think this is due some of my neighbours Plasma televisions finally expiring and being replaced by quieter LCD/LED models.

I am still missing the two local AM stations, BBC R Bristol on 1548 and Smooth on 1260, which came from the Mangotsfield transmitter site which has been bulldozed and is now another featureless but hideously expensive housing development. Sadly this has happened at other AM transmitter sites and is a fate that lies ahead for many other AM transmitting sites in the near future.

Simon