View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2021, 6:03 am   #76
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Non-working Commodore PET 3016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Forgot to mention: I don't know what sort of solder you are using but I would absolutely avoid Lead-free solder especially for this job where all the original solder will be Lead-Tin solder anyway. Unleaded solder is so dire when compared to the real thing that I would not wish it on anyone.
Yes, if you do use lead-free solder you have to make sure you've removed all the original solder, as they don't generally mix very well.
Plus any lead present (In tin-lead plating etc) can stop lead-free solder from making a good joint (although that my be more of an issue with solder pastes and auto-assembly machines).

You also need the soldering Iron temperature around 30degC higher for many Lead-free types, as with original tin-lead types, the lead lowered the melting point of the alloy compared to that of Tin alone.
So some older fixed-temperature iron types, might not quite get hot enough to fully-melt lead-free solder (Although the cheapest ones, with no thermal feedback, just overheat with no thermal load on them making the tips / elements not last too long!)