View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2021, 11:19 pm   #72
Mark1960
Octode

Default Re: Non-working Commodore PET 3016

There used to be desoldering blocks the would fit in a soldering iron in place of the bit that would heat all the pins of an IC so the it could be pulled from the board. These were useful for rescuing ICs if the pcb was less important than the IC, as there was a serious risk of pulling tracks or pads off the board. Definitely not recommended for the PET.

You can also use a heat gun, paint stripper type, but again pulling the IC is serious risk of damage to the pcb and the uncontrolled heat can burn the pcb beyond repair.

Just listing these to recommend not using these methods.

Manual solder sucker is probably possible with a lot of care and patience.

I wouldn’t trust the soldering iron with plunger type, i think the shock to the pcb pads when the spring is released while the metal bit is in contact is likely to remove the pads.

The motorized suckers would probably be best, though I haven’t tried one of the cheap types. In the factories we used weller brand, but cost far too much for me to consider for hobby use. I think the cheap motorized suckers are probably also a bit expensive for hobby use, and not sure how well these work.

For a one off repair either try a manual solder sucker or find someone local with professional rework tools.