Thread: Bodges
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2020, 6:36 pm   #165
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Bodges

The Eddystone 840A receiver I currently have as my 'bedside radio' had a number of bodges when I bought it.

Previous Owner hadn't been able to find the right 2-pin line-socket for the mains lead, so had soldered wires to the pins of the chassis-mounted plug and fitted lengths of clear polythene wine-syphoning-tube over the resultant mess. I stripped this out, along with the original chassis-mount plug, fitting in its place a captive 2-core lead retained with a screw-up cable-gland.

Inside, the P.O. had removed the smoothing-choke and replaced it with a 'totem-pole' of two green cement-coated dropper-resistors - each had an open-circuit segment, hence the totem-pole.

To compensate for the HT voltage-loss in this mess they'd then added a BY127 semiconductor-diode across the UY41.

Worst of all - and possibly the thing that led to all this - "that capacitor" feeding the UL41 had been replaced by a component with a 63-volt rating....

I removed the BY127, fitted a 400V-rated 'mustard' as That Capacitor, and mounted a small 40mA choke [it doesn't carry the UK41's anode-current] below the chassis in place of the totem-pole dropper-monstrosity.

De-bodged, "Steady Eddy" has since clocked-up quite a few hundred hours of nocturnal listening-duty without problems.