View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2020, 2:32 pm   #30
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: Some BBC local radio MW Tx closures

I always understood that Droitwich 198kHz was retained for national emergency though it's well-known that the BBC have wanted rid of it for years.*

Perhaps they could give it to Radio Caroline? "This is Radio Caroline on 199 - your all-day music station." (Caroline were always more fussy about the rhyme than wavelength accuracy so 1kHz frequency discrepancy shouldn't be a problem. )

These days I'm well-known for appearing to be behind the times and my somewhat cynical/sceptical view of some modern practices that are 'all the rage'. I get particular stick for my simple voice and text only 'dumb' phone - even though I had a mobile phone years (probably a decade) before any of those who criticise.

However, sometimes I semi-jokingly say: "If the bomb should drop or we upset the Chinese and they turn everything off, stick with me. I've an all-valve short wave transmitter-receiver, a car with no electronics and I know how to make crystal sets from simple stuff." (All I'm lacking at the moment is the generator!)

*One issue with this is that most modern receivers if they do receive AM won't have LW.
Junk Box Nick is offline   Reply With Quote