View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2014, 3:45 pm   #141
D_S_J_R
Heptode

Default Re: Garrard record player deck identification.

I remember being confused by some SP25's with steel outer/top platters, but I suspect these were cheaper OEM models supplied or fitted with ceramic cartridges, so the extra magnetic field wasn't an issue. I don't recall the MK3 version being supplied this way, but could be wrong.

I've recently 'rediscovered' that the larger SL72/75/95/AP75/76/86/96 etc. and Zero chassis' used a clever little rubber O ring on the bottom of the inner platter hub, just snug against the geared part, for helping the mechanism to run as quietly as possible. Works well too - 13mm x 2mm for the 86SB and possibly the same large diameter but 1.5mm cross section for the idler models (I'm awaiting delivery of a few). Dual and B&O used a plastic or delrin main gear and lighter acting levers (one main one with the Dual), so run very smoothly in any case, the 701of mine being almost silent.

The slickest of my auto Garrards is the Zero 100 I have. The mechanism runs quietly and the metal tabs function well, without the 'thunk' action of the plastic ones fitted to the others. Why did Garrard have to penny pinch so much on the fine details, where the jap auto decks of this period were mostly crude and horrible underneath, yet with a superbly done finish on the exterior (Techie SL1300 and auto relatives excepted, which were slick and very gentle on low-force trackers I remember).

Dave