View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2022, 1:38 am   #3
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Best Way to Convert Tapes to Digital.

If it's commercial pre-recorded tapes, I'd say the best option is to find the same recording on CD. Over the last few years, prices of used CDs have fallen through the floor as people get rid of them and use streaming services instead. You can buy used CDs online from places like MusicMagpie.co.uk , Amazon, ebay and discogs.com for the rarer titles. MusicMagpie currently offers some CD titles at 4 for £5 with free postage. You can also buy CDs for pennies at charity shops and car boot sales, but you'll have to keep looking until the exact title you want turns up. However it can be fun, as along the way I've bought many used CDs that I wanted but couldn't afford back in the day when they were like £13 each.

Of course, some prerecorded tapes were never released on CD or are very rare and expensive. You can buy USB cassette players, but to be honest, most are fairly low quality. Worth considering only if you can get one very cheap or free. They do come up for sale quite often, as people buy them just to transfer a few tapes, then get rid. Review of the ION USB Tape Express here: https://www.everythingusb.com/ion-ta...ver-19275.html

There are also some stereo systems that can record directly from cassette to USB or CD-R/RW without using a computer.

Personally I think you'll be better off with a standard cassette deck, cable and Audacity since you seem to be already familiar with the process. In fact, all you need is a working cassette player. You can ask in the 'Sets and Parts Wanted' section of this forum, or ask for help to repair your broken players.