View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2022, 11:26 pm   #10
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC LS2/1/121 monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Wow, I see what you mean. That's a helluva crossover for a 2-way design! I've seen active speakers with fewer components.

How big is the bass unit? Looks Goodmans-y to me.

Note your typo, the label says 1/2/121 Maybe the mods could amend it for us?

Still not a lot on the internet, even on Mark Hennesey's site.
I mention them on this page, complete with links to the document already linked to in post #9, plus the AM8/4 amplifier:

https://www.markhennessy.co.uk/rogers/overview.htm

But it really is just a mention. I've never seen them in the flesh.

It's worth saying that any speaker starting "LS1" was intended for non-critical use, and will not bear any relation - in sound quality terms - to the more famous speakers like the LS3/5A. But I really can't say how good or bad the LS1/2 was. My view is likely coloured by the only LS1 speaker I've heard, which is the LS1/8. Frankly, this was a terrible speaker, in sound quality terms at least (the build quality is quite reasonable - I say more about it on that same page). It was only intended for offices and similar, and the BBC must have had thousands of them, so it was a successful design in a way.

That said, it looks like they were trying a lot harder with the LS1/2, and I would hope it is a lot better than the LS1/8. For comparison, the "crossover" in the LS1/8 amounted to just a single 1uF cap for the two 3" cone tweeters.

I do like the muting relay to protect the tweeter when spooling.

Yes, Goodmans 8".

As there are pictures here, I'll add a link from my site to this thread. Feel free to post more, especially the crossover bits...

Mark