View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2022, 10:06 pm   #64
Tantanometer
Triode

Default Re: Survey of TV22 ownership

Perhaps another question to ask would be how many forum members do not own a TV22. Many years ago when I first spotted mine looking lost and forlorn at Audiojumble it just seemed to be the next must-have exhibit for my collection and because it sported the quirky TC184 Band III converter it just oozed TV history. With hindsight I should have realised that because of its Band III converter the set hadn’t been pensioned off in the mid 50’s but had endured a long service life until the tube expired. So after a full and thorough restoration I have a set that can just about be viewed on the darkest of nights. While diagnosing the problem I connected the TV22 chassis to the CRT and scan coils of a 14 inch Pye PTV that was awaiting restoration and got a decent picture which taught me the importance of achieving “first light” before proceeding too far with the restoration. It also spurred me on to restore the PTV and shelve the TV22 until a suitable tube turns up.

The other lesson I learned for the future was to ignore all those who tell you to remove the pitch over the EHT winding. That pitch may be a moisture trap but it also provides mechanical strength. Without it the EHT winding can move on its former fracturing the wire at the start of the winding. Mike Barker made an excellent job of rewinding it replacing the Paxolin former, laminations, etc. in fact everything except the cardboard box I sent it in was new.

Anyway, in answer to the original question it’s a late MkII with a PL81 Line Output valve, the B9A socket being fitted into a metal adapter ring riveted over the octal sized hole.

Len
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0363c.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	261013