View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2021, 11:37 am   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default TELETON VX1110 12" Hybrid.

TELETON 12" HYBRID COLOUR MODEL VX1110.
Some while ago I posted some information on this Teleton colour [or should I say color] TV. This model is the 12" VX1110. A 14" and 20" versions were produced, the TVC-14 and the TVC-20. They were very reliable receivers and the only faults I encountered were failure of the valves particularly the frame osc/output type 17JZ8 that used to crack across it's base as did the UK PL508.

Originally built for the NTSC American market the UK versions were fitted with a simple PAL S decoder with tint control that performs exceedingly well. R.F. gain is incredible producing a picture from just smoke and mirrors.

When first encountered on a UK workbench, the chassis appears to be rather odd mainly due to the use of unfamiliar type valves with strange numbers. These were mainly manufactured by Toshiba and the RCA RIP] often containing a number of sections in an attempt to reduce space.

They were constructed on what is known as the DUODECAR 12 pin glass base on first appearance similar to our familiar PL500 series base. The 12 pin types are generally fat resembling valves from a much earlier TV era. The series sports .45 amp heaters suitable for a series chain. In this chassis the Compactron valves are: Line output 31JS6A 12 pin. Damper [boost diode] 17DW4A. Frame osc/output 17JZ8 or 12JZ8A and the 3AT2 EHT rectifier. The remaining valves are an odd bunch, the only familiar feature is that they are fitted with the B9A base except the EHT rectifier hidden away in it's screened box, fitted with the 12 pin Duodecar base! The heater is rated at 3.15v 220m/a supplied of course by the heavy duty line output transformer with it's EHT overwind. The actual voltage is not given in the manual but I would guess it is around 20kv.

The 12" tube is a GENERAL delta gun type 12VARP22. The convergence is 100%. Not a trace of colour on a monochrome picture.

Picture quality is excellent giving a picture similar to the very well known Sony transportable series. The added advantage of the Teleton is that it does not appear to suffer from the low emission problem often encountered with the Sony receivers of this vintage.

This actual receiver was pulled off the tip many years ago. It only required a repair to the frame hold control that had become unsoldered from the rear of the P/C board. It must have had a busy life! The black paint has completely worn away around the channel tuning knob but I cannot see any attempt at repair! The nine back screws are in place and it makes you wonder if they had ever been removed.

Pictures show the line output section with it's hatless damper diode, [that is going back to the PY31 days..] The tube label and general layout. If you get a chance of obtaining one of these excellent Teleton receivers, snap it up. The only problem will be obtaining the American type valves and I have no idea if these are available on websites.

No repair or batteries needed not even for the 27 transistors and 23 diodes making up the rest of the receiver chassis. The service manual is one of the best, printed in colour with many internal pictures of the chassis layout etc. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX1110 (1).jpg
Views:	208
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	235813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX1110 (2).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	235814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX1110 (3).jpg
Views:	215