View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2020, 7:45 am   #48
Catkins
Pentode

Default Re: Restoration of a 1937 first generation pre-war television (HMV 900)

Continuing...

The next stage was the capacitors, there are two capacitor blocks in the EHT enclosure, a large green capacitor block which contains two .1 uf 5000 volt capacitors, which are the EHT reservoir/smoothing capacitors, and a smaller grey 1 uf 1500 volt capacitor in the focus circuit.

As seen in Photos 1 and 2, they had some body corrosion, and it was already evident one of the capacitors in the green capacitor block had probably failed at some time.

I have a capacitor analyser which can test for leakage/reform up to a maximum of 600 volts. Connecting that up to each of the capacitors, showed they were all extremely leaky at 600 volts. Neither side of the green capacitor block performed any better than the other either. I reformed each of the capacitors over about a week (10 hours each day), and the leakage currents slowly reduced to an acceptable level for 600 volts. Obviously, it was going to be entirely pot-luck whether they'd work at the higher EHT voltages, but, I thought it was at least worth a try and not write them off too soon.

The dangling EHT resistor was found to be open-circuit and this was replaced too. The capacitors were cleaned up and the corrosion treated and removed.

That left the CRT itself, which was found to need no work, and the bottom of CRT enclosure. This was rust treated and repainted.

Photo 3 shows the empty CRT enclosure after treating/repainting the bottom.

Photo 4 shows everything put back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2965.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	218571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2980.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	218572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3140.jpg