View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2015, 11:49 am   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Decca varitune Colour portable

Hi there
That's an interesting set. It ust have been pretty close to production. As far as I remember the final version had a big tuning wheel for the 'top' channel. It was a good idea, as if the set was used in, say, a mobile home then the band could be swept to find the local channels without wearing the small preset buttons out which is easy to do, especially as the small tuning tool would be lost and the customer would apparently try to use a spade!
The 70 series was pretty good. The PSU was a little complex with an odd little driver transistor in the base circuit that needed to be replaced with the correct part - I think Decca supplied a more robust replacement.
A word of warning - take care you don't snap any of the tiny control shafts - we've all done it! Well, I have...
Now down to your set. I suspect it hasn't been used too much, and I'd think the main smoother is OK - it's a good relaible part. Snip the mains filter capacitor out (it's across the mains input very close to the switch, probably grey, around 0.1 uF and around 400v) - the set will work without it. The more cautious on the forum will suggest using a lamp limiter in series with the mains to reform the capacitors and save any alarming foreworks. Others, of which I am one, cheerfully switch the thing on, but we are reckless and should be kept at a safe distance.
Before powering up it might be an idea to check the fuses are OK and then check the chopper transistor and line output transistor for shorts, then disconnect the input to the tripler. Looking at the condition of the TV I don't think you'll have any unpleasant surprises, and the CRT should be like new.
Good luck!
Glyn