View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2007, 10:06 pm   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Humour in the TV trade.

Inspired by this thread

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=15305

When I was a young TV engineer I worked for a trade service company called CCS Electronics based in Winchmore Hill London N14.

On the wall of the workshop we had a list of funny quotes from customers. I can only remember 2 (well it was 40 years ago).

1] An engineer had entered a house to repair a TV using a key left for the purpose. On the kitchen table was a note for him. "Please carry the dog out to the garden and bring him back after you have finished as he's not very well".

2] A symptom reported by a customer. "The sound's there, but it won't come out".

Later when I worked for the EHCS in Enfield Middlesex one of the older engineers used to tell me stories of the early days of servicing.

1] An engineer would slowly roll the frame of a set and invite the customer to select the best picture, even rolling it the other way to pick the "best" one.

2] He knew an engineer who had told a customer (when asked what had been wrong with her set) that he had had to change the roll of film. When the set had a further fault some years later the lady concerned asked "if that nice young man could come round and change the film again".