View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2020, 10:58 am   #16
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Polyeurthane Sanding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
Sounds great, Ill order some and give it a try.

Would something like this have been used for radio cabinets in the past?
Quite possibly. The veneers used were often quite low grade and were 'sexed up' by the application of 'toner' before being sprayed with lacquer. Sometimes, two or more shades of toner were used to simulate different veneers. The 1930s Philips Superinductance 634A 'Ovaltiny' radio is a prime example. The plain veneer is uninspiring, but in good original condition, with two shades of toner, looks attractive. Two bands of darker toner give the impression that two types of veneer were used, but that isn't so.

As often as not, the lacquer is flaking off, which is to be expected after eight decades, and arguably, the cabinet should be left alone (conserved) because proper restoration is beyond the scope of most of us. However, it's easy to see the temptation to want to strip the cabinet and slap on a coat of modern water based varnish. But in stripping the old lacquer, off will come the two shades of toner, because toner isn't like stain - it doesn't penetrate the veneer. The authenticity of many of these sets has been destroyed by DIY attempts, evidenced by the lack of the two darker bands after 're-varnishing'.

Below is a picture of what the set should look like.

I suspect that it's been restored professionally to a high standard. It looks too 'new' to be otherwise.

The second picture shows a typical example of a cabinet flaking lacquer, where it's evident that it isn't two contrasting veneers, but just a band of toner. I can understand the desire to want to strip and re-varnish the set, but from my perspective, the older it is, and if it's considered not just old, but a classic set with some unique features, conservation & preservation become important considerations.

I don't have any woodies that are of any value, but which I find attractive and have enjoyed restoring.

Over the years, going back to the early 1960s, I've had no hesitation in stripping off the old lacquer and have used various techniques to re-varnish them, from Ronseal to French polish, Danish oil and aerosol sprays. My yardstick has always been to try to attain the best possible DIY standard. I don't kid myself that I can aspire to professional results as I don't have the equipment or expertise to attain such a standard. What I lack of skills, as a hobbyist, I do have a commodity which professionals don't have - time! They do it for a living - I do it for enjoyment, and if I don't do it right, I can do it again.

Hope that's of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips 634A Ovaltiny Radio.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	202321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ovaltinie 3.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	202325