View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 1:30 pm   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default Polyurethane Sanding Question

Hi Folks,

Thought id try my hand at gloss finishing a little box Im making to house a project its plywood with walnut veneer that has been stained. I bought several grades of sandpaper (100,200,400,600 etc etc) amd Im using rustins gloss poly varnish.

It advises 6-8 hours between coats depending on conditions. As this is in my cold workshop ive waited 24 hours before sanding the coats. It didn't feel at all tacky, But Im finding the sandpaper is getting gummed up and its sanding to a "gluey" residue.

Trying to sand through this has resulted in me sanding through some of the stain on the veneer. In total its had 4 coats now, and after each coats it was roughed up with 400 grade sandpaper. Each "between coat" sanding did result in some white residue, I thought this was normal and I was able to wipe off most of it, and the rest became hidden with the next coat.

But when trying to finish it off and buff up, im left with gluey mess and will likely need to start the face of this box again and re-veneer it now.

So Im wondering, what am I doing wrong?

My instinct is telling me 24 hours in a cold workshop has been insufficient and perhaps I should apply and leave it 24 hours indoors??

Any thoughts much appreciated. This is actually a test piece for a record changer plinth I'm building. I wanted something I cared less about to try and work out the method for doing a gloss finish - and good thing I did test it first!

Adam