View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2017, 1:14 pm   #4
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Cossor Melody Maker 494 A.C. Valve radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuboy57 View Post
any help would be much appreciated......be gently though as I am quite new to this forum but willing to learn from all you experts out there
Hi. I have one of these radios too, but I have some work to do on mine as well. The tuning cord can be sorted by using fishing line. Radios that employ thicker cord, I use the sort that builders use for plumb lines (made by Draper).
On my set the core that the various aerial coils have been wound on has been broken at its base. I have some replacement aerial cores, but it is getting the circuit re-tuned or finding a way of repairing the card core at the base. The cabinet has also a crack in one side.
The voltage adapter on the mains transformer requires some attention on these radios (uses what looks like a battery snap for a PP9 battery), these have poor connections so replace with a wire directly to the appropriate mains selector. I also wired the "live" mains wire to the single pole switch.
There are variants in the valves used in these radios, and resistor & capacitor value modifications for each type of valve line-up used (so I discovered when I was asked to restore one many years ago). When I finished the restoration, it worked really well indeed!
By all means replace the wax capacitors (I have an insulation tester that soon discovers how low some of these capacitors are in resistance). Look out for resistors that exceed their tolerance value. You will be surprised in what you will find in variation.
Regards
Mike