View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2019, 9:26 am   #15
Alan's MagicEye
Tetrode

Default Re: Building a 5 valve A.C. amplifier from scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrykc View Post
An amplifier with output valves that have a claimed service life of as little as four months is ludicrous!

I am in full agreement with others that the Mullard 3-3 is a much more attractive proposal and full constructional details are, of course, included in the design.
Of course I agree that the Millard design is extremely good and the consensus agrees with this fact

At the risk of annoying everyone though, what Mr Deckert says in his marketing blurb really has nothing to do with what I was trying to say....

I have been using the little Decware designed amplifiers for about 5 years now on an almost daily basis and from memory I have only replaced the output valves twice and they probably didn't need swapping then really, so the comment about replacing ever few months is completely wrong.

My point was, the design is very simple, the bits are reasonably priced and I have been using the resulting amplifiers in a reasonable hifi seup for about 5 years without issue, nothing else.

No offence is intended to anyone who has commented here, I just wanted to make my point clear here as I seem to have irritated some of you with my posts.

With best intentions .....

Alan

Last edited by Alan's MagicEye; 28th Nov 2019 at 9:31 am. Reason: Typo