View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2019, 3:36 pm   #11
John KC0G
Hexode

Default Re: Anti aircraft proximity fuzes

Talking of patents, I think that the British patent for the British work was GB585791. I have not been able to find a copy online. Perhaps it was never published. The USA patent for the same work was US3369487. On the Wikipedia page for the Proximity Fuze is a reference to an excellent paper by Brennan which tells the long and complicated story about the US patent. I have read it, but do not have a copy here.

Some of the US work by Tuve and Roberts was covered by patent US3166015

I have seen, possibly in US3369487, the operation of the proximity fuze described in two different ways. The first is the doppler shifted received signal is mixed with the transmitted signal, and filtered to provide an in indication. The second is that the loading of the transmitter oscillator by the nearby object modifies the radiation resistance of the antenna, and it is this change which is detected.

The electronic circuit in the proximity fuze was the simple bit. The packaging and inclusion of the multiple safety devices to prevent premature detonation were the hard parts.

The book "The Deadly Fuze"mentioned by Rob in post #9 was written by Ralph Baldwin and published in 1980. He later wrote a second book"They never knew what hit them", which was published in 1999.

John