View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2018, 11:45 pm   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: MK14 programming interface - MK2

Ahem, I still have more PCs with IDE drives than I do with SATA (...Grump..!)

I had considered an IDE cable but they are usually over long for this purpose... if I can find one with two connectors near one end (did that ever happen?) I may just cut that section off. They are available quite cheaply as short ready made assemblies from the likes of CPC anyway, specifically intended as GPIO breakout / extender cables for the Pi.

I think I do need to test on a Pi 3 etc because I have the relevant delays pared down to the shortest which will reliably work (therefore the fastest upload speed) on a Pi Zero W. On the new OS it uploads the 'Message' program from the manual in just over three seconds. The Old OS unfortunately requires five keypresses per data byte entry, so it takes a second or so longer to upload.

While things like the length of a keypress and the post-release debounce period are specifically timed and will not vary from one Pi to the next, the extra speed at which a 'big' Pi could whizz through the other, un-timed parts of the script may cause unforseen problems, so I just want to check that.