View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2018, 8:36 am   #88
BulgingCap
Pentode

Default Re: Show us your drills!

Last week I acquired a Bosch drill of unknown vintage. I could find no reference to it on the net apart from something that looked similar in a story about a Polish chap who had used one for 70 years after buying it from a displaced German family at the end of WWII. He had donated it recently to the Bosch museum. Then I spotted the drill thread on here, never having seen it before. The first post from Greenstar showed the same drill!

Mine does not have a chuck but an extension 'nose' that has a bladed end with two small pins or knobs. The end rotates freely but when depressed against a surface the blade engages and oscillates rapidly about 45 degrees either way. I have no idea as to its purpose, and have attached pics of the tool.

I also have a Wolf Sapphire pistol drill that I think was given to me by my father in 1972. He didn't sell them but gave them as Xmas gifts to his plumbing customers in Lincolnshire. It has the original brushes and is in regular use, even used at times to start recalcitrant outboard motors. I have since bought a couple of Sapphire drills with hammer gearboxes from yard sales. They are indestructible.

I notice with dismay that the brand and logo has appeared recently on some far Eastern junk, although whether this is an illegal operation I couldn't say.

The Wolf 'Standard Duty' drills are real wrist snappers. I have a couple.

-Fixitnow: I found a Desouter drill like yours ages ago. I don't use it but couldn't bear to throw it out. The brush caps were missing and they were impossible to source so I made a pair from nylon.

Regards, BC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-226F.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	171254   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-227F.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	171255   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-228F.jpg