View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2018, 11:56 pm   #85
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: Show us your drills!

I recall being taken by my Dad into his works on a Sunday (in the days when you had to work probably 6 days a week) as we drove into his section we passed a man working on his rusty Hillman sanding some filler, he was outside with plenty of puddles about him with his metal case drill. It was sometime later I heard a terrific scream and then heard the bustle of an ambulance arriving, but the man was dead.

When we went home I cut the lead off my Dad's old Wolf metal case drill and chucked it in the bin. Plenty of youngsters had seen the PIF film about the man being electrocuted with the drill, as it was usually on in the mornings or afternoons but a lot of adults were still not really aware of it.

Presumably the cable on the man's drill had been connected to a non standard (plenty about in those days) 13 amp socket where he was working and perhaps he omitted the earth who knows -he didn't live to tell the tale. I obviously had some explaining to do when Dad went to use his drill again, but persuaded him to get one of those new fangled plastic things.