View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 4:11 pm   #125
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Medium Wave Transmitter Closures.

It's a great shame that MW stations are closing but to be honest I'm not surprised. We have had a very long run with A.M. radio but like everything else in life, everything comes to an end.
I moved to my present address about 20 years ago. It is very rural and I have about five very good neighbours. MW and LW transmissions were received completely interference free equal to FM and I'm not kidding! Today the MW band is covered by a horrendous babble of interference that blots out the only two receivable stations. Radio 4 on Long wave is not too bad but has no entertainment or interest value to me. When the time comes maybe when I am in the Victorian Home for EX television Engineers, possibly.
Where it comes from I'll leave you to work out. It can only come via the mains supply but I have my own 11kv to 240v transformer on a pole 20ft from my bungalow so it is a mystery that remains unsolved. A battery portable is slightly better as regards interference suppression but it is not the complete answer.

The honest truth is that the man in the street has no interest in AM radio and I fear that within five years it will not exist in all but maybe very local locations.
As I said at the start of this post, it's a great shame but everything has it's time even life itself but we can keep it alive with the 'pantry transmitter' so we should all build one. It's not that difficult! Regards to you all, John.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 11th May 2021 at 4:16 pm.
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote