View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2021, 11:46 am   #19
Pfraser
Pentode

Default Re: The end of physical media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
For me its the joy of owning the Physical media.
I buy DVDs at a rate of knots , both new and 2nd hand.
Yes.. ive accrued a huge collection over the years but ive no intention of getting rid of any of them anytime soon.
Im the sort of person who can watch a film again and again and i frequently do but half the enjoyment for me is browsing through my collection, watching the extras which you dont always get .
Its the same with Videogames, i collect those and have an even bigger collection stretching back to about 1974 , but with the event of consoles being designed for download, only even that media eventually will disappear.
It's interesting to reflect on how storage media have become ever less substantial with each technological advance.

Cylinders became flat 78s; still quite hefty. Then slimmer, lighter LPs. And 45s. Then cassettes. Then CDs, and now...precisely what? Streams of digits, which to me seem more conceptual than actual. Sealed electronic devices which can store mind-boggling amounts of magnetic or electronic representations of the actual product.

To me, there's nothing like the physical, actual product. Album art, decorated inner sleeves with all the lyrics, promotional inserts. The record companies made a good effort with the first CD album releases, to transfer some of the LP experience across. Booklets squashed into the case aren't the same thing.

dglcomp:
Quote:
I see some parallels here in the world of synthesisers and effects units, yes a VST/plugin may be easier and in a lo of cases cheaper nothing replaces having the real hardware right in front of you, something companies like Behringer are very much finding out.
Quite! It's also interesting to see the digital world producing plugins which emulate analog artifacts, e.g. vinyl noise, tape dynamics, valve colouration of the signal