View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2017, 8:34 pm   #147
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

An amusing exchange about power cables occurred on a non-audio-related forum. An individual had purchased a high end home cinema system and had been advised that it would only achieve its potential if a suitable mains supply was laid on for it. It was suggested that a dedicated circuit of minimum 32A rating should be installed as the amplifier was allegedly capable of consuming up to 40A on audio peaks. A particular cable (CY) was recommended, that an electrician then indicated was not approved for UK electrical installation work. Not being a phool, he became suspicious and sought advice before proceeding.

As part of the discussion, I tested my bench monitor system over lunch and found it would run happily, as loud as I could tolerate, on an F315mA fuse provided I bypassed the fuse at switch-on. That included the player, preamp and Quad 520 power amp. I had in mind to test it powered via a 100m roll of CW1308 phone cable and make a spoof video about its beneficial filtering effect for future phool-baiting, but real work beckoned and I had to put the proper fuse back in the plug. Of course, such a test would have failed miserably as I would have neglected to burn-in the cable. Or just possibly I might have burnt it out instead.

To rephrase a point made above: If you can hear the difference between two mains leads, you need to fix your amplifier before using it to compare the sound of mains leads.
Lucien Nunes is offline   Reply With Quote