View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2007, 8:18 am   #24
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Humour in the TV trade.

Hello Michael,
I had many calls of this nature but never charged what I called my 'Golden Girls'. These were elderly customers that put so much business my way that it was a pleasure to do these pest calls. Always a cup of tea and a chat awaiting. Happy days.
Please forgive me if I have posted this case history before but for those that may have missed it I will note it again.
I had recently sold a brand new Toshiba C2290BIK to an elderly lady. [ No remote control] I installed the set placing it on the old 50's style square television table.
Underneath, on the bnottom shelf, the old valve radio and various magazines. A few days later the phone rang and the lady was quite upset because the picture had failed on her new set leaving just the sound...Well this NEVER happened with Toshiba sets, the brightness and tuning controls were under a flap that I never revealed to most customers for obvious reasons. During the conversation I could here a sound broadcast in the background. It was the famous Jack Demanio with the 'Second edition of Today' or similar. I asked if she had the set switched on at that moment. 'Yes' she said. Well you have guessed it by now, she had plugged the old radio into the mains instead of the telly! She left the phone and after a moment I heard a massive blast of sound as she connected the set with the volume full on!
We had a good laugh about that till the old girl passed away some years later. I used to say 'Is that Jack I can hear in the background or the telly'. Great fun days and when the fun stopped I retired. Cheers, John.