View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2018, 9:15 pm   #48
Slothie
Octode

Default Re: MK14 schematic revisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post

https://hackaday.io/project/25953-pr...rom-programmer

You could always also build the original Science Of Cambridge PROM programmer add-on for the MK14, the paradox being that on the face of it, it requires a working MK14 to operate it: Of course an Arduino or PIC could be used more conveniently nowadays. MK14man's definitive website concerning all things MK14 seems unavailable at the moment, so I can't link to the manual which contains details of the circuit, connections and software support routines - but I think Slothie probably has it anyway.

Slothie, give it a couple of days and we'll see if anything interesting comes up, or just say the word and I'll send them off back to you sooner.
I've seen the hackaday link and the mk14 design and sketched out a design for one, using an ATMEGA328 to drive it rather than bootstrapping the mk14!
Hang onto the proms for a while in case we get any response on here. I'm still waiting for stuff to arrive, and to get some free time! As i said in my PM if it comes to it I can program a 2716 and make an adaptor on stripboard so I can plug it into the mk14 until a prom solution appears. If I want to keep it "retro" I found an eprom programmer for my PET in a box from the loft so I could use that!

The idea of making a programmer is growing on me since one day I'd like to make an Acorn 1, and that uses 74S571s too! I'd be able to tweak the timing capacitors for the Tesla chips

I'll query the guy in the Czech republic too, looking at pics of his replica he is clearly using Tesla 74S571 chips, not surprisingly since I imagine the fall of communism there probably revealed warehouses full of vintage electronics. Tesla are now a mojor supplier of valves nowadays I understand!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf promblower.pdf (69.6 KB, 279 views)