View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2017, 12:38 am   #35
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
Those who have worked with professional/military kit probably get quite a liking for aerospace/PTFE-type wiring neatly loomed up, expensive and quality connectors, sturdy machined fittings with stainless fasteners and so on- Argus 25's recent post about a beautifully made monochrome monitor provoked the comment that it would likely have worked as well if it had a single SRBP circuit board and a plastic case......

Thing, but perfectionism is a slippery slope, as some of the audiophool excess proves.
To some limited extent, I agree with these remarks.

However the counter argument is that if the perfectionism is based in Science and not a delusional (fixed false belief system) or a Faith based (proof absent system) then the attempts at perfection seen in the construction of some apparatus gives us all a "quality reference" to aspire to, when we design and build our own equipment.

To inspect the insides of something like like that Avionics monitor I cited, or the build quality of items like vintage Tek scopes, not just the mechanical engineering, but the electronic design and the whole combination of "form and function" is an educational experience.

Any Engineer would be a fool to ignore this and not take the opportunity to learn from it and aspire to its standards.

To think that a low quality pcb & components with probably equally uninspiring circuit design stuck in plastic box could be anywhere near as good or reliable as properly constructed apparatus, might be even more delusional and foolish than thinking crystals are going to help your audio system.
Argus25 is offline   Reply With Quote