View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2020, 7:25 pm   #72
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Favourite Radio Stations past and present.

To quote LIVEWIRE, post 66,
"Their weekday fare was, IIRC, similarly varied, no doubt because they had to be 'all things to all people',"
We had a local station, but folded. It seemed each programme had to provide for all tastes. So, jazz, then maybe 60s, then classical, then heavy metal, then unknown artists etc. This format I found was terrible. I very soon abandoned ever listening to this confused output.
However, one programme presented by a chap with a deep USA drawl, really had me sitting up and listening. My minds eye pictured Louis Armstrong or similar character. He was knowledgeable about what he played, but not overbearing. He gave a brilliant few minutes enlightening chat either side of one Big Band piece that he played. The fact I still remember it almost 20 years later shows how good he was.
Then again, I remember, aged around 17 and at work one Saturday morning (Yes, a five and a half day week!) listening to our usual Kenny Everett show (on Radio one?), when he made that infamous remark about the transport minister's wife having passed her driving test and his comment about possible bribery? He was gone!!
He also introduced me to "London Bridge" performed by Bread. That set me off buying several lps and even David Gates solo albums.
"Sing something simple" ("for simple souls", as my late dad used to add whilst singing) reminds me of post bath time, in pyjamas, ready for bed. I must admit, MY programme memories are quite nice and comforting. Taking me back to my childhood.
As I recall Bill Lowe (aka Bandit Bill, Lowe Electronics) once had written in a full page advert "Every dog to it's own vomit!!".
Rob