Thread: Scrap or Save?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2020, 1:20 pm   #1
donutty
Pentode

Default Scrap or Save?

There might be another thread of this nature kicking about, in which case I apologise (but I could not think of the right combination of keywords to positively identify it).

I would like some opinions on whether I should Scrap (harvest for parts) or Save (restore) a:

Walter 101 tape recorder.

In its favour:

1. Complete unit but missing accessories (mic, output leads etc)
2. Untouched. It was not working but fault was broken wire from on-off switch to transformer
3. It's cute-ish
4. Quite a rare brand
5. Decent amp system (EL82 + ECC83)
6. Tiny magic eye
7. It has life (powered up on limiter, nothing on playback (reels move) but crackles of life occasionally. Maybe it's a blank tape?

To its detriment

1. Research here points to them being pretty dismal performance and construction-wise (but it is all metal with fairly good assembly; in my unit)
2. It has good harvest-able parts (mains TX, output TX, EL82, ECC83 etc) - maybe just take the amp as-is (all on a PCB) and re-purpose?
3. Who needs tape recorders? I have a Ferrograph series 4 and an Akai upright R-R and never use them
4. As per #2 in 'favour' - it has no accessories
5. I have enough projects on the go

Or the other option is to sell it. Any takers?

I got it the other day in a charity shop for a fiver. I would pick it up again at that price but am torn between life and death only because of the fact that it might be quite scarce.

PS. The reason that this is not a poll is to encourage discussion - who will be the advocate for this poor old machine?

Last edited by donutty; 9th Feb 2020 at 1:22 pm. Reason: Justification for not having a poll