View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2019, 8:59 pm   #266
john_newcombe
Hexode

Default Re: Gemini 80-Bus System

Whilst working to add Winchester support to my system it started to become clear that I would need to modify my GM829 Floppy/SASI implementation in order to latch the select line in a similar way to the GM849 in order for it to work with a modern SCSI disk or SCSI disk emulator e.g. the SCSI2SD. I was contemplating fitting a small board to achieve this when I received a message and then a phone call from Charles O'Brien who was, at the time, based Blunsdon Swindon. He has now moved to Hunmanby, East Yorkshire.

Thanks to the generosity of Charles, I am now the proud owner of a Gemini GM916 Galaxy MFB. The unit includes 5.25", 8" and 3.5" disk drives and a Winchester disk. The machine had been owned from new by Charles and had been used when he ran a consultancy business called Obsys Ltd.

I have opened the various boxes and discovered the following;
  • GM813 CPU and Memory board
  • GM832 SVC Video Controller
  • GM849 Floppy/SASI Controller (Modified for MFB)
  • An 8 inch double sided drive
  • Teac FD55 48tpi 5.25 inch Drive
  • Teac FD55 96tpi 5.25 inch Drive
  • 3.5 inch drive
  • Rodime 201 5Mb Winchester Disk
  • GM827 Keyboard
  • Gemini Monitor

The machine isn't working at the moment but once I get a little time I will start the diagnosis.

I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to preserve this machine, naturally, if there is interest, will keep this thread going and continue the 80-Bus saga on http://glasstty.com.