View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2018, 3:03 am   #26
Slothie
Octode

Default Re: MK14 schematic revisions

The dome switch part of the footprint was mostly experimental, since I had them after buying them on a whim from china for next to nothing... I took apart an old calculator as a teenager and saw how they were put together, but I dont recall how the PCB looked. The dome switches I have have small "legs" that locate in the hole,and (hopefully) the hole is big enough to allow them to skid enough, but its highly probable wear will be an issue on reflection.
In reality I'm going to use the 12mm switches unless the dome switches work incredibly well
I have discovered Rapid Electronics sell the D6 style switches (like the reset switch on the original MK14) which I believe from photo's I've seen are the type later MK14's were drilled for, I used the round-topped variant in an alarm clock and they were very positive, although not as good as a cherry key! They have the square top type SOC used, but there used to be clip on caps which they no longer sell. If I'd known that at the time I'd probably used that for the second footprint (all 3 would be a bit of a squeeze!)
If I ever invent a time machine I'll add those RS key switches to my (long!) list of things to buy and get you a couple of sets too!

Last edited by Slothie; 25th Apr 2018 at 3:03 am. Reason: spelling