View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2019, 8:28 pm   #1
NealCrook
Tetrode

Default NASCOM hardware and software projects

I'm delighted to see a couple more NASCOM users appear. For NASCOM users who are not members of the Yahoo group, I'd like to share details of my recent (and not so recent) NASCOM projects:
  • wav2bin - a PERL program that will extract binary data from a .wav file. Typically, this wold be used to generate a .CAS file from an ancient tape recording.
  • nascon - a PERL program for converting between NASCOM formats: cas/nas/hex/bin
  • polydos_vfs - a PERL program for manipulating PolyDos disk images
  • NASCOM 1 RAM expansion - a 3-chip (RAM + 2 TTL) 60Kbyte expansion that attaches to the NASCOM 1 edge connector. Tested.
  • NASCOM 2 RAM expansion - a 1-chip 60Kbyte expansion that piggy-backs on a NASCOM2 bytewide socket. Untested.
  • SDcard storage for the NASCOM. 2 versions. One version connects to the UART/serial port and uses the NAS-SYS tape commands. Requires no HW mods or ROMs. The other version connects to the PIO and, with a boot ROM, will run PolyDos. The hardware uses an Arduino, and SDcard adaptor and a few wires. You can build one on a proto board or ask nicely for one of my spare PCBs.
  • Documentation, ROM and disk images for PolyDos and permission-to-share statement from the original author

The word PERL got mentioned a lot. If you are on Linux or Mac you have it. If you're on Windows I recommend Strawberry Perl.

All this stuff is here: https://github.com/nealcrook/nascom It is documented as well as I know how, with words, code and photos. I will be "happy" to receive bug reports.

If anyone has any other PolyDos material (other versions, documentation on their word processor) I'd be delighted to see it.

Neal