View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2021, 11:10 pm   #13
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Mains plug restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
... I don't know about a law but the BS standard states that a sleeved plug must be fitted to new equipment ...
Yes. There are the harmonised standards and new kit 'brought to market' has to meet those and to be CE marked to confirm that it does so, and there is a law covering that.

Quote:
... or if an unsleeved plug is fitted to an old item being serviced it must be replaced by a sleeved version before being returned to the customer ...
This is the bit I was querying. I wasn't aware that there's anything (BS, or EN, or IEC or whatever) that forces repairers/servicers to bring existing equipment up to today's standards. If I were to buy something, so it became mine, and then to modify it sufficiently for the work to amount to remanufacture, and then, as a business, were to 'bring it to market' again, then the current standards would apply. But that would be all of them - the whole lot, not just the very specific one about the sleeving on the plug pins.

If, on the other hand, all I did was to replace an electrolytic cap which had reached end of life with an equivalent new one in a customer's piece of equipment, then I don't think there's anything requiring me to go through it substituting unleaded solder for the leaded stuff, or improving the EMI performance, or moving components apart so that the clearance requirements are met, or changing the mains inlet connector, or upgrading the mains plug to a sleeved-pin one is there ? If there is then I'd be interested to know the reference number for it.

Cheers,

GJ