View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 9:44 am   #1
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Various ancient induction motors

hi folks

In the 'for sale' section you may have noticed that I have been donated a pile of elderley induction motors, to sell for charity. Quite a few have 'issues', which is interesting as it provides an opportunity to learn something - and being 60-70 years old in some cases, they are perhaps permissible for this forum.

Single-phase types with an internal centrifugal switch to the start windings and no capacitor, I am familiar with. But of the capacitor types, a few have capacitors either missing or so badly corroded that I don't know what they are. Some of these have a centrifugal switch (cap start) and some, have no switch - which suggests the cap is either switched out manually, or stays in for run.

My question is - can anyone point me to a reference to work out the capacitor value in such cases? I am almost interested enough in this to make a small band-brake, or maybe lash something up out of motorbike brake bits - I have a tacho and some weighing scales - and to plot some curves of torque and speed for various values of capacitor. But it would certainly be easier to read about it in a book!

cheers
Mark