View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2020, 12:28 pm   #44
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Simple Op Amp RIAA preamp 1st lash up

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I don't think anybody was suggesting that the Hitachi chip is a poor performer. It's just that it's a rather odd choice for somebody designing an RIAA preamp in 2020. Glad you're pleased with it anyway.
Thanks Paul,
I didn't mean to infer that.
I was curious after seeing an application in the R A Penfold op amp circuit book and a look at the data sheet piqued my curiosity as it was an application specific device, namely audio and in particular as an RIAA preamp, and I would imagine it saw use in some of Hitachis own kit as well as in tape replay needing EQ. Jim leSurf used the HA12017 throughout the last of the Armstrong Pre amps just before the company closed, and I figured he wouldn't use a duffer.
As people have observed, the market now for audio specific devices has all but collapsed, at least as far as the manufacturers are concerned and so a modern analogue designer has to work around more non specific chips. Although the traditional op amps are still available including in SMD, and they are probably as good as its realistically possible to get.
And the Hitachi devices are cheap as chips (oops!) and still available in their thousands, which surprised me.
Anyway Its a good result from my point of view.
And thanks for the pointer to the VSPS Paul as that's the EQ I am using, its so simple with readily available E24 resistors and easily sourced 1nF capacitors that most of us have a stash of.

Andy